Adding Uniqueness to EO Private Servers

Post your project your working on or server! Only positive advertisements are allowed, Negative topics will either be locked or deleted.
Garsor
Junior
Junior

Adding Uniqueness to EO Private Servers

Postby Garsor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:44 pm

I'd like to introduce a new kind of gameplay to the Endless Online Private Server community. I don't believe this has ever been done before. I've got plenty of ideas that I'd like to put into action. All of these ideas are unique and make the game a ton of more fun.

In Endless-Online, or Endless-Online private servers the whole aspect of the game is to just farm NPC's and take their loot, use it, sell it, make money, buy items, do quests, etc.. This gets very boring after a while. Why not try something new that will keep players busy and keep them having fun and not getting bored, why not introduce something new that's not sitting in a map farming NPC's all the time to level up your character so you can get to a really high level and reborn, get a high reborn level, get a lot of stats, get a lot of good equipment.

I'm working the server right now.. This server is player-based, player based economy. All of the players are going to have to rely on other players for specific needs....

The server is based with 5 classes, all of these classes have a major role in the game...: fighter, mage, archer, crafter, citizen.

Fighter: A fighter is a fighter.. There isn't too much to say about a fighter, but fighters can equip fighter items only. Fighter items such as swords, spears, armors, etc.. These items mainly have high stats in constitution and strength. A fighter is a tanky-class, so they can deal a lot of damage and take a lot of damage. A fighter is not ranged, and cannot have any spells, bows, or arrows.

Mage: A mage is a character who can obtain almost every spell in the game. Spells are very useful in PvE and PvP. Mages are a very important class in the game if you're traveling with a group/guild. Mages can potentially be very strong if you get the right equipment and spells for the mage.

Archer: An archer is a ranged class. There are tons of different kinds of bows in the game, and an archer is similar to a fighter. They can sometimes be tanky once you start getting really good equipment for them and can potentially deal a lot of damage if equipped the right bow. Can also obtain 2-4 skills in the future once created, related to archery. But will use up all of the mana per use of one skill.

Crafter: And here we go. A crafter, a crafter is one of the most IMPORTANT classes of the game. Other classes like warriors, mages, archers CAN craft their own items. But they are VERY limited. They can craft basic items for themselves but they are never at the peak stat-wise. Crafters will be able to craft advanced gear, such as highly statted fighter swords, and armor, and mage armor, weapons, archer bows, arrows, etc.. There are tons of things to craft, TONS, and the materials can be obtained by fighters/mages/archers/citizens, by killing NPC's and obtaining their remains and selling them/giving them to crafters. And the crafters will be able to craft items with the materials. Citizens will be able to give/sell the crafters minerals, wood, etc.. Crafters are very important.

Citizens: Again, citizens are also one of the most important classes of the game... I may plan on renaming the class name later on once I think of something creative, but citizen will work for now. Citizens can mine rocks, chop wood, fish, shave NPC's, cook, and importantly, they can create pets! Pets can be obtained by fighters/mages/archers killing NPC's and have a rare chance of dropping a "Pet Receipt." A pet receipt is useless until given/sold to a citizen which the citizen can then use the crafting system to turn the receipt into a working pet receipt which can then be used to turn into a pet! And the working pet receipts can be sold to other classes or given!

As you can see in the classes, this is how everybody relies on each other. And I think it's a very important aspect of the game.

One thing that bugs me. Is potion spamming. Potion spamming in PvP or PvE isn't fun. You'll just never die. Thus; I put a time limit on how often you can use one hp or tp healing potions. For example, small mana potions can only be used 1 every 30 seconds, and they give you 30tp. small health potions, you can only use 1 every 30 seconds, and they heal you 30hp. Which this also gives a crafter a unique roll, where they can craft/edit new potions and make the potions even better than they were before, and can even lower the amount of time you have to wait before using each healing method. Anyways, I don't want to give out too much information of the game because I want to make it somewhat mysterious and make people find things themselves.

Gold & Exp: Yes! Gold and EXP are very hard to get! For example; sheep only give you 5 EXP. 1000+ gold is somewhat hard to get, depending on the method you use. Why is this? Because, EXP and Gold aren't important aspects of this game, important aspects of this game are quests, storylines, guilds, pvp, dungeon raids, etc.. You get 16 stat points per level, but then again, stat points aren't going to be very useful because most of your hitpoints/health/skills are going to be coming from items you get. But the stat points will still be useful in ways I won't be telling you yet ;). Gold isn't very useful, unless you use it as a currency with other players to sell/buy items, but you can't really buy anything from the vendors(shops) besides things you can get from killing NPC's (sheep meat, sheep ribs, etc..) Also gold can be used to create a guild, (creating a guild costs 5000g). I'm hoping for this game to be very party/guild-based. So guilds and parties do quests together, and go into dungeons together to help each other out. Being a lone wolf isn't the best thing to do. Because it's best you have a couple people with you if you plan on fighting bosses. And some quests DO require having a party.

OKAY
Enough of all of this text! Wow, if you all actually read this, then thank you! I hope you have some interest in this server and plan on trying it out once it is released! I promise you I will have a better advertisement with less text, and more pictures/videos next time! I just wanted to try to get a few people actually interested and get some feedback! To be honest, I've been working on this myself for the past 2-3 days and I only have one town in. I've worked on it only a couple hours a day and I've been procrastinating a lot. But yeah, I created the starting class choosing (you can only choose your class once for one character) and all of their items for their class. Only about 5 houses in the town, I finished the houses inside with shops, skill masters, banks, guilds and such. But yeah. I hope I interested some people and I hope to see some feedback! Next advertisement will be a lot more nice, I promise! :) . If you read this, then thank you! I'd appreciate feedback! Have a nice day!

edit:

-ignore the GUI, it's from an old server called "Endless Ages" it's not going to be used later on. I just like using it because I like their GUI/music.

Each spell takes up TP(of course) so that means depending on the skill it will take up more TP than another. So if your character is limited to 52tp (like a basic mage in the server) and he has 3 different spells already. Green Flame, Fire Blast, Ice Blast.. Ice Blast and Fire Blast take up 1tp, there is a 1 second cooldown on using the spell, and it takes up 1tp every time you use it. But they only do 10-14 damage. Green Flame does 50-54 damage but takes up 6tp. The higher damage of a spell the spell is, the more tp is used. So it's kind of based on preference in this way. The mage can choose either to kill the enemy quickly by a high damage spell, but it takes up tp more quickly. Or to use a lower damage spell that takes it longer to kill them but takes up more tp. I haven't really calculated any of the tp for any spells yet, but I plan for it to be something like this, so far there are only 2 available spells for mages. I just finished this town, so now I'm going to start making more maps outside of it that leads to different towns with different vendors and things.

The starting items you get are a basic armor/clothing, mages will get Mage Robes[Basic](F/M) and etc. for fighters/archers.... As you can see in the picture, it says [SheepRib] and [SheepWool]. In this game, you can make armors out of the things you kill, and from minerals and stuff. A mixture of both minerals and things you can kill are the best. Depending on how tough the thing you kill, its remains can be very effective on armor and make the armor have very good stats. You can make tons of different material armor for one specific type. So you can make tons of different kinds of armor for the Fighters Plate with different kinds of materials. Or for example, Eloff Plate, you can mostly only make this out of steel or other minerals because look of it, it's metal-y.

There are lots of quests that everybody can participate in. But there are also lots of quests only specific classes can participate in.

I'd also like to mention I'm developing this game myself! And would love to hire some kind people to help me develop it! I'm mostly interested in artists/client designers. And maybe a mapper or two. Just leave a reply if you're interested! :)
Last edited by Garsor on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deaven
Legend
Legend

RE: Adding Uniqueness to EO Private Servers

Postby Deaven » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:54 am

You aren't the first person to have this general idea of "balanced" classes and gameplay. Other people have tried and it doesn't work for a few main reasons.
  • Not a large enough community
  • Everyone picks one class (typically fighter/warrior) so it's not really balanced, or switch to the class they find is strongest
  • The owner gives up ( you seem determined so meh might not be you )
  • Based on your suggestions here's gonna be a big one... client limitations. You can have only around 900 something items
  • Once there are high levels, they give away the medium level stuff to noobs which throws off gameplay ( saw this happen on Aureus Online, in fact someone gave me a lot of money and I just bought all the OP stuff, I didn't feel like leveling anymore so I quit )

I'm not telling you to quit but I'm telling you that maybe you shouldn't use such a limited game client and a server emulator that doesn't have updates. The "Crafter" class idea, I don't think it will work because again with the client anyone can craft anything, nothing is stopping people from selling the raw materials ( or even creating alts and transferring it or something )

Anyways good luck :p

This belongs in the suggestions section of forums since this isn't an actual server, your actual server ad would go here.
Last edited by Deaven on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garsor
Junior
Junior

Postby Garsor » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:15 am

Hercules wrote:You aren't the first person to have this general idea of "balanced" classes and gameplay. Other people have tried and it doesn't work for a few main reasons.
  • Not a large enough community
  • Everyone picks one class (typically fighter/warrior) so it's not really balanced, or switch to the class they find is strongest
  • The owner gives up ( you seem determined so meh might not be you )
  • Based on your suggestions here's gonna be a big one... client limitations. You can have only around 900 something items
  • Once there are high levels, they give away the medium level stuff to noobs which throws off gameplay ( saw this happen on Aureus Online, in fact someone gave me a lot of money and I just bought all the OP stuff, I didn't feel like leveling anymore so I quit )

I'm not telling you to quit but I'm telling you that maybe you shouldn't use such a limited game client and a server emulator that doesn't have updates. The "Crafter" class idea, I don't think it will work because again with the client anyone can craft anything, nothing is stopping people from selling the raw materials ( or even creating alts and transferring it or something )

Anyways good luck :p

Thanks for the feedback. The crafter idea will work, because when you you first join and pick your class, you're given your classes basic item kit which comes with basic armor/clothes, weapon, boots, 4 health potions, and an Emblem.

Each class has their own emblem, and as I said, you can only pick a class once. So you will only be able to get one kind of emblem per character. The emblem are lore, so there won't be any trading/dropping of them. Depending on the class, the emblem can either be a scroll to a location, or just an emblem used in quests (or both). For example; a crafters emblem is declared as a scroll in the pub, it warps to their home map which only they have access to. The map sells items called.. hmm.. how about, crafting tokens (I haven't implanted this feature yet so I don't know what the names will be). Crafting tokens are required for tons of crafts throughout the world of the server, in a bunch of crafts, you'll see the basic crafting materials. Then at the end, you'll see "Crafting Tokens", then you'll need to have crafting token(s) in ordered to craft the item. Which only the crafters class will have access to because of their scroll, and of course the crafting tokens would be a lore. Yes, everybody can sell raw materials, but that isn't crafting related, that's how fighters/mages/archers/etc. are going to be making their money, also through quests and stuff. Yes, alternative characters are fine. It's not like you can just jump into the game as a crafter and start crafting every single item in the game within minutes. It will require time to do quests, skill up your crafting character, explore new places which there are new items, level restrictions, it will require a lot of effort in ordered to get the item you actually want to craft. So as long as they're putting lots of effort into their alt character, it doesn't really mater.. Though, I do think I want to limit the amount of accounts one IP can create, but I'm not quite sure how, or if it is even possible, if it's not possible I'll have to create a custom revision..

Nobodies going to pick one specific class, because they're all balanced, it's mostly just preference on how you want to play the game, because they are all balanced. There's no better class.. Preference.

"Once there are high levels, they give away the medium level stuff to noobs which throws off gameplay":
That's why there's going to be requirements to equip/use items. A brand new fighter to the game isn't going to be able to equip a heavy fighting plate which is made out of pure steel because:
#1 - Its going to be very heavy for the new player
#2 - Its going to have requirements such as level requirements, strength requirements, constitution requirements, etc..

The only thing I can't really back up is "[*]Not a large enough community" because that is true. If this server is going to be player-based, and players will have to rely on other players for assistance, then it's going to be pretty tough if there are only 10 people online and half of them are fighters and the other half are citizens, because then there will be nobody to craft any decent items, or any mages to help in big PvE battles.

And that is why I hope to get as many people interested as I can to look forward to this server, so upon release, there will be lots of people joining in. I plan on advertising on different sorts of gaming forums as well.

900 items is enough I guess. I probably won't be at that point for a long time. 700-800 will probably be enough and last a while, I can edit items too. And then they will just slowly add, and if they ever reach 900, I guess I'll have a problem, which I'll need to fix. But if I ever reach the point of 900 items, then I would assume I have an active player base with dedicated players which could possibly help donate for the server to receive memberships and whatnot so then I could maybe hire a programmer to program a new custom client that can hold more items than 900.
Deaven
Legend
Legend

Postby Deaven » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:47 am

There's still one thing, it's easier to say the classes will be balanced but when actually implanting you have to balance damage and benefits. For example a fighter does high damage but isn't ranged. So logically the ranger would do less damage than the fighter. However you have to be sure the damage isn't to low or high. If its low no one will think its worth being a ranger. This goes for all the classes. How is a citizen suppose to level up if he specializes in items and seems to have no role in combat? Fallen Evolution has been out for over 4 years a lot with Bones Underground, but they still haven't been able to get a programmer ( they recieve lots of donations ). Also Aureus Online was advertised on several other gaming forums, Facebook, etc. but still had a low player base.

Also you can count me joining your server sounds interesting. I suggest naming the Crafting Token crafting permit and make it a scroll, token doesn't sound right imo.
Last edited by Deaven on Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garsor
Junior
Junior

Postby Garsor » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:27 pm

- By Ariel

Blocked out the name of the server, but there's actually a name there, and it looks pretty sweet!
Deaven
Legend
Legend

Postby Deaven » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:08 am

Looks good by I think the crescent moon is cliché. You should go for a new symbol. Or no symbol at all.
Last edited by Deaven on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frost
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Frost » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:11 am

Hercules wrote:Looks good by I think the crescent moon is cliché. You should go for a new symbol. Or no symbol at all.

I put the moon in to represent it being hosted on a Eosource Revision. :>
Home | Wiki | Downloads | Server List | Website | YouTube
Glorious PC master race.
Chaos
Junior
Junior

Postby Chaos » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:07 am

You seem to have a great idea, and a lot of potential... Which is good. BUT, if you want to put all this effort into Endless Online then your wasting it. It isn't even worth the hassle and time lol. Widen your scope and implement your idea on a better game, worth wasting hours on bro. You'll thank me later
Deaven
Legend
Legend

Postby Deaven » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Chaos wrote:You seem to have a great idea, and a lot of potential... Which is good. BUT, if you want to put all this effort into Endless Online then your wasting it. It isn't even worth the hassle and time lol. Widen your scope and implement your idea on a better game, worth wasting hours on bro. You'll thank me later

Umad or naw? Also I declare necromancy.
Frost
Super Poster
Super Poster

Postby Frost » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:20 pm

It may be, "A waste of time" for some, but believe it or not... hard work in this community still can get you some players, just look at Journey of Heroes 3-15 players a day sometimes, FE still gets 10-40 players a day. It's only a waste of time if you don't put the effort into the project which includes a balanced set of stats, levels, items etc. The server may not get 100+ players, but it will it some attention if you put enough time and work into it. Thus the quote, "It's hard to fail, if you never give up." Anyway, do what you wan't, just do not come on here and tell people they have no hope of making a successful server, yes the community is dying, but the Endless Online community has been dying for years, but it still has a community to this day, small yes, but dead? No.
Home | Wiki | Downloads | Server List | Website | YouTube
Glorious PC master race.

Return to “Projects / Servers”